Wanted: Motivated Mighty Pens
It’s real! Sooz and I are gearing up for the Mighty Pens, 2018: NaNoWriMo edition. We will be writing hard and raising money for the organization that started it all, National Novel Writing Month, supporting their Young Writers Program and the hundreds of thousands of authors who reach for the dream each November.
But, for serious, this year we need some help. Think you may have extra time to devote to the cause in October and November? Read on!
Mighty Pens Mentor
- What: Motivated folks who participated last year, willing to answer questions about the Mighty Pens for new participants and give them pointers on fundraising.
- How: When new participants sign up and donate their initial $10, Sooz and I will match them with a mentor — up to five new participants per mentor. You can work together how you want: via email, twitter, discord, messenger pigeon…. Just be there to answer their questions and help them out because, well, sometimes things are confusing.
- Sign me up!: You participated last year? Sweet! Send an email to themightypens2017 @ gmail.com. Make sure you include an email that you check often.
Mighty Pens Sprinter
- What: Up to five participants (including new folks! Any volunteers are welcome!) willing to host sprints and other creative endeavors throughout November on Twitter or other platforms.
- How: Schedule at least two hours of hosting per week, and then have at it!
- Sign me up!: Again, just email themightypens2017 @ gmail.com with solid contact information. If you already know when you’ll be available in November, awesome. Include your proposed sprint schedule. If not, Sooz and I will contact you closer to November.
Here’s the deal. Running the Mighty Pens last year was amazing and incredibly rewarding, but it was also a lot of pressure and time to devote around our day jobs (and participating in NaNoWriMo). Sooz and I are looking for no more than three people to help us with administration this year.
- What: Well, honestly, we’re not sure entirely yet. It could include answering emails, helping us match participants with mentors, updating the website when required, making sure the Google Spreadsheet stays updated and clean, things like that.
- How: You commit to being available for Mighty Pens administrative tasks at least two hours every week, October through November. Sooz and I will divvy up the tasks as they come, and/or assign permanent tasks when appropriate. The best admin wizards will be easily reachable, responsive, and flexible. Of course, Sooz and I completely understand that life happens, but we’ll cross that bridge if it builds itself.
- Sign me up!: Send that email to themightypens2017 @ gmail.com. Include why you want to be an admin wizard, if you have any extra website-y skills (coding? graphics? networking?), and how many hours you would feel comfortable helping with tasks in October and November.
Questions or concerns? Toss ’em in the comments and/or you can always contact us or hit up #themightypens on twitter.
Love you guys!
September 25, 2018 @ 4:46 pm
If you’ve never done NaNoWriMo how do you join to, simply, participate in the event?
September 27, 2018 @ 4:42 am
To simply participate in NaNo? Sign up here!
If you want to participate in the Mighty Pens, after you sign up for NaNoWriMo, you can sign up now (here). Honestly, though, it might be easier to wait another couple weeks. Sooz and I (this is Kat!) are still airing out the laundry, as it were, and getting everything set up. The Mighty Pens starts on November 01, so just keep your eye here, and we’ll update when things are good to go.