Harnessing Rage: MP2020 Edition
Y’all, running the Mighty Pens came at exactly the right time for me.
I have been so incredibly full of rage this year.
Usually, when my rage hits a breaking point*, I madly donate to politicians, bail funds, or charities… or I rewatch “The Great British Baking Show” or “Hamilton” (probably the greatest mental comfort salves of the streaming revolution). Ever since Sooz and I decided to launch Mighty Pens 2020, however, I devote a lot of my extra time and rage energy to this campaign. Somehow, that often translates into more energy.
A few concrete goals I have for October and November:
- Write at least six days a week
- Plan a whole book, not just the front half
- Choose themes that are timely and challenging
- Keep the book ridiculous, like me (lots of puns, meme references—whatever it takes to not only keep my interest, but also represent my personality)
A few fuzzier goals for the remainder of the year:
- Don’t lose hope that the state of the world can get better
- Find passion in creativity again
- Stay true to my values
- Advocate via my words and actions for those values
As I work on balancing my work, social, and artistic lives, the Mighty Pens helps me stay accountable to those goals (as do the friends and family who donate to my Every Mother Counts fundraising page, lololololol). I am so grateful for this opportunity, for the trust and excitement all of the participants have in the campaign and in each other!, and for being part of us coming together for the third year to make magic happen.
What about y’all? What are your concrete goals** for NaNo? Less concrete ones for the remainder of the 2020 dumpster fire?
*For a great podcast on the curious logic of rage, check out last week’s Hidden Brain episode on NPR
**Breanna is running a zoom session on goals and motivation during NaNo for all Mighty Pens participants at 3pm on Saturday, October 17. Keep your eye on the #Official-Sprints channel on discord for instructions to join, and I hope to see you there!